Press Release 19/1
Assembly examines Mayor’s emerging transport strategy
“The London Assembly Transport Committee will tomorrow (20/1) examine the Mayor’s emerging priorities for the capital’s transport network.
In order to prepare its response to Way to Go! Planning for better transport – published by the Mayor late last year – Committee Members will question:
· Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor’s Director of Transport Policy; and
· Peter Anderson, Chair of the Transport for London (TfL) Board Finance Committee
The session will focus on the following issues:
· Does TfL’s 10-year Business Plan provide enough capacity for London’s likely future travel demand?
· What priority will the Mayor and TfL give to encouraging people to use alternative modes of transport, like walking and cycling, in order to reduce pressure on the transport network?
· What long-term plans for further capacity beyond the business plan period will be included in the Transport Strategy?
· What is the anticipated impact of the economic downturn on TfL’s plans?
The Transport Committee will also continue its investigation into the use of 20mph speed limits in London, questioning:
· Chris Lines, Head of London Road Safety Unit, TfL
· Cllr Alan Laing, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods, London Borough of Hackney and
· Cllr Terence Neville, Cabinet Member for Environment and Planning, London Borough of Enfield”